Thursday, October 15, 2009

On the east side of Benbrook Lake there is a hiking trail at Rocky Creek Park. This is an Equestrian trail that winds around the shore line all the way up to Dirks road. About 10 miles one way, moderate terrain, some of it dipping down to the shoreline and some high up on the limestone bluffs.It was the last part of August so it was still pretty hot, started out at 75dg and the weather "experts" said it was only suppose to get up to 85, Well, later on that day it hit 90dg with full sun, so it felt like it was about 100. The only place there was a breeze was way high up on top of a bluff.

The trail was fairly worn down by the horses.

Time for a breather!
When it got hot later in the day I zipped the legs off for shorts.

After about 4 hours of hiking I was looking for a nice place to have lunch. Lets see, I need shade, a breeze and nice place to sit down.

Still looking.........

This will be perfect!
Ice cold lemonade, ham sandwich and potato chips. Maybe a nap after.

Nice view too.
The second leg of the hike back to the truck was a little bit tougher, another 4hrs. back, it was much hotter and I was getting tired. The last hour I had keep taking shade breaks, every 15 minutes even though I had plenty of water and was staying well hydrated, I could feel a little heat exhaustion creeping up. That last 15 minutes seemed like an hour, I couldn't wait to get back to the truck and cool off.
______________________________
Over all a very nice place to hike, great scenery, I think I'll come back in the fall when its cooler! Stay tuned.
Happy Trails ya'll

No comments: